We all lied. Yes there were more tears and one last quick hug and he was on his way. I was so grateful for the big smile he turned around and gave us as he walked away. It did a mother's heart good.
It was the most bittersweet day ever. We were both feeling misery and immense joy. Soooo hard to say goodbye. Couldn't even think of how long two years would be. But I wouldn't want him anywhere else. It's one of those experiences you just can't explain. It's something a parent has to experience to really know. The subsequent letters we received were filled with so much growth and maturity it couldn't help but make the distance much more bearable.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Argentina here he comes!
The first stop was at the Stake Presidents house on our way out of town. Or I guess I should say just on our way since he lives in a town about an hour away and it's in Oregon. He let Todd do the setting apart. It was a great experience. Pres. Brown made sure we had plenty of water for our journey because he was sure I would be dehydrated before we reached our destination.
I guess the worst part by far was watching him say goodbye to his siblings before we left home. There are no pictures because there was just to much sobbing. It was the hardest thing ever to watch. We stayed with my sister, Cindy, and went the next day to the MTC. We stopped by the MTC early to get some pictures before the crowds arrived. Garrett was feeling every emotion available. But seeing that MTC sign was very exciting. It was hard to believe this day had finally arrived. There were many years of planning and praying for this day. 
We went to lunch and to pick up a few last minute items. We stopped first just up the hill from the MTC to say our last goodbyes since there is little time for that at the drop off point. Yes there were many tears and last minute expressions of love and advice. We were sure we were done with the tears and all promised to be strong and not cry when we got to the MTC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment