Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fair and Parade

Every year the high school band has a concert at the fair. For the last seven years we have had someone playing in that concert. But not this year. But alas we still went to the concert because the cheerleaders were also there. It is usually later in the evening so it isn't blazing hot but for some reason this year it got bumped up to 2 pm so Todd couldn't be there. Me and the little ones sat in the blazing sun to get a good view. Then they moved the cheerleaders over so Bridget ended up behind a picnic table. But anyway here is a little bit of their dance. They have been working hard all summer and I think they did a great job. Bridget is the one in the front of the line on the right.



Here is the fight song. Normally she would be playing this with the band this time she is in the middle in the front row. I know these aren't very good videos but it was the best I could do with my little camera.
I was supposed to get this on video too but I only got pics and I missed the H.
The kids loved all the animals at the fair. We spent hours looking at ALL the horses and every other kind of animal.
We also saw Garrett's photography. His is the tire picture second from left on the top row.

Funny story, while we were sharing a very yummy elephant ear Elijah announces he has to go potty. So we go to the bathroom and I take Lydia in the girls and send Eli with Dallin. Dallin wasn't real thrilled with the job but he did it. Little background on Dallin...He is a germaphobe. If you touch his food or take a sip of his drink, he won't eat it. He's nuts about this kind of stuff. So Lydia and I finish and we go out and wait for the boys. And we wait. And we wait. Did they leave without us seeing? Where are they? It's one of those bathrooms with no door so I go and yell Dallin's name. I hear this very annoyed sounding "what?". He comes out alone, obviously upset and tells me that Eli was standing at the toilet, with his pants down, doing his business when a stream of poo comes out of his bum. It went everywhere. All over the floor, his pants and even some on Dallin's beloved new school shoes. Of course I thought this sounded pretty funny. Dallin fails to see the humor. He had been in there cleaning everything up. It almost killed him. Elijah comes waddling out because his pants are a little uncomfortable now. But other than that he is very calm and says, "Can we go home now?"

This reminds me of a story. I have a problem with thinking these things are funny. Only when it happens to my kids though. One time when Elijah was a tiny baby I was nursing him in the mother's lounge during Sacrament Meeting. The kids were left in charge of Lydia since Dad was sitting on the stand. My friend Amy was also nursing her baby in the mother's lounge with me. Suddenly Samantha bursts in the room very exasperated and tells us that Lydia just threw up all over Bridget. Amy and I both immediately burst out laughing. (I'm glad I'm not the only one.) Samantha was aghast that we found this situation funny. She made some comment about how we just sit in our little room and laugh at everyone. It just made us laugh harder. The best part is when a more mature and responsible sister in the ward came in to get some towels to clean it up. Through my laughter I told her I would clean it up myself. Well she just said she would do it then gave us a look to let us know how immature we were. That just made us laugh harder. Then when I went out and saw Bridget standing there holding Lydia all vomity I laughed more. I mean really, what are you going to do? Every time Samantha told the story after that it got better and better. It still made me laugh.

Anyway back to the story at hand. We went home and got Elijah cleaned up. He didn't seem sick so I just put a pull up on him just in case and we went out to dinner with Dad. The kids really wanted to ride the Ferris Wheel like I had promised and take one more look at the animals so we went back. Without Todd since well he hates the fair. On the Ferris Wheel Lydia clung to me shaking like a leaf and Elijah loved it. When Dallin and I were looking away Eli decided to stand up and lean over the side while we were at the highest point. That scared me to death. Here they are safely sitting.

They got to go on two more rides: the airplane ride and the carousel. We took another peek at the animals and then went home.




The next day was the parade and the cheerleaders were in it. This is their float.


It just happened to be Bridget's turn to walk along side the float when it got to us.

Here is everyone having a great time watching the parade. This only lasted until they started throwing candy. Those kids were up and running in no time.

2 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

Looks like fun times!

Loved the reminiscing of the nursing room story! That was classic.

samwise_2 said...

I sure love poop stories. And anything involving a certain really responsible sister being....really responsible.